Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

It Was A Dark and Stormy Day Until.......

There's a saying here in Florida: "If you don't like the weather, wait a half an hour and it will change". This morning it was the same old stormy, rainy, gloomy weather we've had for days. We awoke to rain, rain, and more rain. I had resigned myself to the fact that it would be another boring day indoors, so I got the girls together to do a little video taping as Kurt and Julian zoned out again on a new Xbox game.

About the time the kitchen was cleaned and the girls were ready to film each, the storm clouds began to break and sun started peeking through the overcast. It was a sight for sore eyes. The seemingly dark house became bright again.

Change of plans - LET'S GO TO THE BEACH!!



There was a flurry of clothes changing and towel grabbing, and running for the car. Things were happening so fast that I nearly forgot my cameras and Julian almost forgot to save his place on his new video game. Now THAT would have been a disaster when we got home. I cannot live with Julian after he's forgotten to save a game; you'd think somebody had been torturing the damn kid to death. All the moaning and groaning....

Oh, the beach.


Driving to the beach was like an observation of an ant hill after the rain-soaked ground had dried. Suddenly cars and people begin emerging from their deep dark and sandy caves to venture into the light which had seemed all but forgotten; until now. We reached the toll to Pensacola Beach and I guess a lot more had the same idea as we because there were a line of cars waiting to thrust their dollar at the attendant and haul ass to the waves.

Kurt rolled the window up on the dollar bill and had some crafty idea of having the attendant "pull" it out of the window as we drove by. I explained to him the physics of this idea and how it wouldn't work, and he explained to me about light sensitivity and depression and how he needed to get to the beach fast because I was falling victim to it.

Have I been that grumpy?

Upon arriving, it was a beautiful sight. The sun was shining, and the air was crisp and new after the storms chaos had passed. I took in a deep breath of fresh air and realized that Spring was officially here. Kurt kept babbling about everyone taking their shoes till it almost became the main focus of being there.



Soon Kurt and the kids were running down the beach with their arms spread wide, while I ran behind with the stupid video camera trying to film all the excitement. I don't think the video came out very well as the picture was just a big up-down-up-down, blur of sun, water, sand, and bodies.

Back to the iPhone camera.

Nia took no time at all accidentally on purpose, "falling" into the water.

"Oopsie mommy - I tripped!" she says with a big smile

It doesn't matter, I brought extra clothes for just this moment. The poor girl is a three year old bundle of energy that's been confined for days inside a dreary house. "Let her be free", I think to myself.

Then there THEY are. Suddenly entwined in the bunches of seaweed and sand are Portuguese Man-O-War jellyfish. They are actually quite bewitching looking with their shades of cobalt blue that surrounds their bulbous, clear bodies, and long blue tentacles intermingled with the seaweed.

I don't care what pretty colors these thing show up in, they are nasty - nasty I tell you. They look more like blown up condoms laying all over the white sandy beach than they do some exotic sea critter.


Thus begins walking like we entered a forbidden mine field. It wouldn't be so bad except that everyone but me was stung last year by little "regular" jellyfish. This has cause Nadia to be quite paranoid of the beach and its various forms of sea life this past year. She sees jellyfish - she freaks! I am preparing myself for the long moans and whines from her as we start out trekking over the snowy white sands before us.

She isn't saying a word about the jellyfish! "Okay, who are you and where have you taken my daughter", I shockingly think to myself. This is too good to be true. I'm thinking she has finally evolved out of the neurotic phase she acquired last summer over the stinging, bloating beast she so unfortunately had a close encounter with.

OOOKAAAAY! It's gonna be a GREAT summer this year! Maybe this year she will remember that when you see one in the water - move your ass out of the way! That advice goes for my husband (especially when he's holding Nia in the water again), Julian, and Toni. Somehow, I am already blessed with this knowledge.

DUH.......

The sun beams over our heads and as we walk, Kurt and Julian decide to run ahead and take advantage of a beach side jog. The girls and I slowly stroll along while taking notice of little green "thingies" swimming in the miniature lakes left over by rising tides of the storm. There are a great many groups of these tiny green sea life's. I have never seen them before; have NO clue what they are, but they are everywhere, much like the jellyfish are.


Interest of these creatures quickly turn to basking in the sun and playing in the water. Toni and Nia are so full of joy over the simplicities of splashing, jumping, and wading in the emerald colored waters that thoughts of the storms are now meager memories to us all.




I don't care that they are soaking wet from head to toe. They have finally been freed from the bonds of the long winter months. We all have, and.....

IT. IS. HEAVEN TODAY!!!